About using Workflow with the resource booking webpart

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:49 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2014 at 6:07 AM
Hi.. i would like to check if this web part is able to have a approval workflow be added to it. meaning to say, if the booking is valid booking, a email will be sent to the approver to approve it.
Also will i be able to customize the form where the user fill in when they make a booking?

By the way is am using SharePoint 2010
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Hello bczm8703

When we uploaded the Resource Booking webpart we included the source code which means if you have the Developer capabilities you can modify and enhance the generic code to make it fit your organisation's particular needs.

Adding a 'Resource Manager' field to the Resources list which in turn gets copied into a hidden field for each separate booking is something which we think you could easily add and with that in place you can either use the standard out-of-the-box Approval workflow, or create a simple one of your own using SharePoint Designer or Visual Studio. If using either the OOB Approval WF (or a new SPDesigner / VS one), you could trigger that to run upon creation and/or change and it would therefore include the name of the Manager as a variable. An email could then be sent asking for Approval in the Tasks list. If you used your own approval, completion of the Task could add an 'Approved' status to the booking (however that raises the question of what would happen to the booking if the Manager decided NOT to Approve ?).

I hope that the you find the changes you are looking for easy to make, however do please email if you have any technical or logic questions which you are struggling with.

If Development of these alterations are not something you want to take on, we can provide these services, however this would be chargeable on a Time & Materials basis.

Regards

Alan C. (on behalf of Ian)
Coordinator
Feb 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM
Hi bczm8703

I hope you were able to move things forward re the changes you were considering to the Resource Booking app. We would very much appreciate understanding about these kinds of additions and enhancements as it adds value to the use of the app, and we can therefore raise it as an element for others to consider including.

If you have any questions do please email and we'll reply soonest.

Regards

Alan C. (on behalf of Ian)